Thursday, October 24, 2019

Satellite Presence


Many years ago, I rode the Boulder-to-Denver bus, and happened to run into an old acquaintance. Rich Meyers had been the lead singer of Boulder's most accursed punk-rock band, Bunny Genghis. This night, he had an RTD balloon tied around his wrist, and he sent it bobbing behind the heads of random commuters in the seats in front of us. Their hair stood on end to meet the static attraction of the balloon, but they remained unaware of the power that was being wielded just behind them. "My satellite presence," Rich said in his tobacco'd growl.

Many years later, this story came out of that. Satellite Presence was awarded third place in Retreat West's 2018 fiction prize by judge Paul McVeigh, who called it, "Quirky and funny. I especially enjoyed the sci-fi-fantasy mystery of it which reminded me of The Twilight Zone shows I loved and learned so much from."


No comments:

Post a Comment