Thursday, October 24, 2019

Yasuko Across Time and Space

Perpignan is an ancient city in the south of France. I lived there for a few months in the late summer/early fall of 1993, when my friend Layla Martinez du Chabot lent me her apartment at 4 Rue A. Simon in the center of the city while she traveled in Spain with her boyfriend and her dog. I spent my time there on a recurring circuit every day: morning espresso at the Cafe du Centre-ville, then a walk through the old quarter's medieval streets, then an afternoon and evening in the apartment playing songs and writing stories. Every single day, without fail.

One of those walks through the old quarter took me by the ancient palace of the Majorcan kings. A rough-voiced guitar player busking in the entrance made an impression on me. This story imagines the rest of that story.

YASUKO ACROSS TIME AND SPACE appeared in Andromeda Spaceways #71 in 2018. It's behind a paywall, but like all walls, it isn't very hard to get over.



No comments:

Post a Comment